Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion for diagonal rail connection...

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rizos@xxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion for diagonal rail connection...
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:16:03 +1100

John Goerzen wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 05:12:49PM -0600, rizos@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Since rail gives infinite movement, diagonal rail connection is redundant
> > in the last case...
>
> I thought that they just gave a lot of movement, not infinite movement.  Am
> I mistaken?

The movement cost for rail is 0, so you can travel forever.
A fact I make great use of:  Imagine having one railway from
South Africa to the Bering Strait, and one from the Bering
Straight to Tierra del Fuego.

If all my cities are rail-linked (and defended at strategic points),
then I can get away with having not all my cities defended, since
if trouble arises, I can get serious firepower there on the next
turn.

Regards,

Mitch.
--