Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion for diagonal rail connection...

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion for diagonal rail connection...
From: Tony & <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:40:43 -0600

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 07:05:32PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> [...]

        In Civ1, it was 1/9 cost.  Roads were 1/3.  So no, you're not
mistaken.

> > > The movement cost for rail is 0, so you can travel forever.
> >
> > One way it may _seem_ to be not quite zero is if you use goto,
> > which won't always take the best railroad path if that path
> > involves steps heading away from the destination.
>
> Ah ha!  Because I *know* I've had units run out of movement on rails.
> Admittedly, this would maybe have been back in the 1.5.4 or even 1.0j days,
> so maybe it changed since then.

        Freeciv sets all movement based on road speed.  Thus there is no
easy way whatsoever to make railroad movement cost.  "3" is hardcoded many,
many places.  And it's not even something nice like "#define BASE_MOVE_COST".
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.