Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:48:36 -0600

> > For me, I decided to set up a domain for many of the same
> reasons.  I could
> > buy services elsewhere, but for about the same cost I could have control
> > over it.  If I factored in what it would have cost to have two different
> > accounts, it's probably cheaper.
>
> How are you connected?  The cheapest I can get is $180 a month dedicated
> modem.

Boy, I feel luckier every day.  Living out in the boonies :) does have it's
advantages.  I've got dedicated dial up for $60 a month + phone line cost.
I could get ISDN for $180 a month, but that was too expensive.  I've been
told that residential DSL will be $40 when it's available, but I haven't got
the price for business DSL. I'm told it will be comparable to the dedicated
dial-up cost.

One thing you must understand is that we are *not* SWBell out here.  We have
our own phone com
past they've sold intert access at cost, because they get discounts on
their T3's based on usage, and the loss due to internet is more than made up
by the additional profit they make on long distance. Whether this situation
will remain with DSL is unknown.

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive
        -= Visit the Aclug Companion http/aclug.neuralmatrix.org =-