Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Dec 1999 11:29:58 -0600

Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I run a 24/7 server (primarily mailing lists, but web and ftp as
> well) that I currently have hooked up via dedicated modem... over $200 a
> month after the cost of a phone line.  The availability of cable modem and
> ADSL makes me feel really, really slow, but neither of these services will
> support/allow dedicated IP and/or 24/7 public servers.

ADSL does indeed support and allow dedicated IP and 24/7 servers.  As
I am in SWBell territory here in Dallas, there should be no difference
there.  In fact, my ISP gave me a 5-address block of static IPs for a
little extra a month.

> that costs less than what I'm paying now?  ISDN is about twice that in
> speed, but also twice that in price.

ADSL is running me $40 each for telco and ISP.  Rumor has it that ADSL
is available in Wichita now, but that only swbell.net is acting as an
ISP for it yet.  Not altogether an excellent solution, surely.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 587,616th digit of pi is 2.