Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:09:16 -0600

> > I run a 24/7 server (primarily mailing lists, but web and ftp as
> > well) that I currently have hooked up via dedicated modem... over $200 a
> > month after the cost of a phone line.  The availability of cable modem and
> > ADSL makes me feel really, really slow, but neither of these services will
> > support/allow dedicated IP and/or 24/7 public servers.
>
> ADSL does indeed support and allow dedicated IP and 24/7 servers.  As
> I am in SWBell territory here in Dallas, there should be no difference
> there.  In fact, my ISP gave me a 5-address block of static IPs for a
> little extra a month.

Avaialbility in Dallas does not necessarily translate to availability in
Wichita.  RoadRunner, for instance, does offer static IPs and "business"
accounts in some areas... but not in Wichita (yet?).

To my knowledge, SWB is in the same boat at this time.

--
"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the
intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon". -- Sir John Eric Ericksen,