Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Dec 1999 22:19:14 -0600

This is probably not a good idea.  The reason: economies of scale.

There are companies out there that will give you an entire box, with
root, sitting in a machine rack somewhere with a fast pipe.  These are
surprisingly inexpensive, just $30 to $50 a month or so.  They can
do this by having a lot of customers.

Now, even if you take ISDN.  Figure it costs, AT MINIMUM, $300 a
month.  You'd have to have 10 people interested in it to pay $30 a
month to break even.  And then, carved up, the bandwidth is basically
less than a 14.4 modem for each person.  A lot less than you could get
with a separate company.

And of course with a box to yourself, you can do mailing lists, etc.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 204,003rd digit of pi is 7.