Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:04:32 -0600

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 03:21:35PM -0600, Carl D Cravens wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, David Carmichael wrote:
>
> > While the pricing is a bit higher ($239.00 [the basic DSL rate is the same
> > its the SWI rates that cause the great jump in price]) than I thought!  Here
> > is the web address for the SWBell DSL Business Line info:
> > http://public.swbell.net/dedicated/dsl_business.html
> >
> > And with it you get 29 usable static IP address and from a phone call to
> > their customer service a business can run an internet server at their own
> > site.
>
> Enhanced DSL Internet Access is in between standard "home" and
> "business" accounts... it's $79 a month for the same speeds as the
> first-level Business account, but comes with only 5 IP addresses.  They do
> secondary DNS for free, which implies to me that you can run servers on
> it.  The only differences I see is fewer IP addresses and you get the same
> services you get with a home account.
>
> I missed this, and their web pages aren't very helpful... *is* ADSL
> currently available in Wichita?  (If it is, they need to update their
> pages.)
>
> --
> Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> Error reading user's mind (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)ntuit

Yes. ADSL is available in Wichita, assuming you meet loop
qualification. Currently SWB is the only ISP providing the Internet
connectivity for ADSL, but that will change soon. SouthWind is
approved by SWB to provide Internet access over ADSL and we can do
it. We have two working test accounts. We are still working on the
provisioning procedures and policies. That will be done "Real Soon
Now." Yes I know what that means, and yes I know we have been saying
that for a while now. But I do believe that it will be no more than a
week or two.

I'm not going to speculate on what the prices will be (it isn't my
decision) so please don't ask me. I will post to this list as soon as
I can tell you more.

I'm also not going to speculate on what options we are going to offer,
as that hasn't been finalized as well.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963