Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:58:13 -0600

> > There is nothing in SouthWind's terms and conditions that says you cannot
> > run a web server (or any other type of server) on one of their standard
> > dialup accounts, to my knowledge.  I just reviewed the terms and conditions,
> > and found nothing to prohibit it.
>
> Unless they've changed their policies (and I've been given no notice that
> they have, and they're supposed to give a certain amount of notice before
> doing so) they have a "no keepalive" policy... you're technically not
> allowed to defeat the timeout.
>
> "We reserve the right to suspend or terminate a user's account at any time
> for any reason. Some examples of what may result in the suspension or
> termination of a user's account:"
>
> "Automating any communication over the connection to our systems for the
> purpose of bypassing any time-out policy on an idle line."

Okay, I see where you're coming from.  So while it's not against the T&C to
run a web server, it would be against at least the intention of the T&C (if
not against the letter of hte T&C) to try to keep your web server up 24/7.

> to put some of our "unwritten policies" in writing.  Like the working
> definition of "personal use" never got written down because the owners
> couldn't agree on what was acceptable sharing and what wasn't.

"Personal use" has gone away, and we now allow people to "share" accounts,
with the restriction that only one simultaneous login is allowed.

--
"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction". -- Pierre Pachet,
Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872