Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Dec 1999 22:10:12 -0600

Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > ADSL does indeed support and allow dedicated IP and 24/7 servers.  As
> > I am in SWBell territory here in Dallas, there should be no difference
> > there.  In fact, my ISP gave me a 5-address block of static IPs for a
> > little extra a month.
>
> Avaialbility in Dallas does not necessarily translate to availability in
> Wichita.  RoadRunner, for instance, does offer static IPs and "business"
> accounts in some areas... but not in Wichita (yet?).

You are confusing issues.  ADSL is a line technology.  Like ISDN, or
heck, POTS.  You pick your own ISP.  ADSL is available in Wichita.  As
is ISDN.  The telco has no say over what you are doing with ISDN, or
ADSL, etc (presuming it is legal and stuff).  All they they do is give
you x amount of bandwidth and hook you up to an ISP.  This ISP may or
may not be the telco itself.  Most people prefer to avoid the telco as
an ISP :-)

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 100,210,090th prime number is 2,042,583,181.