Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: help installing programs

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: help installing programs
From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:38:13 -0400

the past two months i've noticed an increase in people (on many diffenent
lists) claiming to want help but then doing nothing but ignoring the advice
and claiming that no one is helping.  i'm sorry that you are no longer in
your natural element but a little effort on your part would go a long way.
i understand not being able to work on the type of system you prefer.
from time to time i have to work on an NT box and i'm really unconfortable
with it.  every time i want to do something as simple as printing i have to
start from scratch because it won't remember my printer settings.  doesn't
seem very userfriendly to me.

but anyway.  you seem to be not understanding what you are being told.
this is normally because of terms and ideas that you may not be familiar with.
no secrets, really.  the advice given was for you to do a little homework.
i don't care for the dummies books, but the general direction is correct.

the books i would recomend would be along the lines of Linux in a Nutshell,
Running Linux, and Linux Network Administrators Guide.  there are others, but
these are my favorites.

best of luck, and remember that if you convince yourself that you will fail,
then you will.

On Saturday 17 August 2002 11:42, you wrote:
> I would love to drop qmail, but less then 20 days ago Linux was dumped on
> me, I have over ten years of experience in Microsoft Windows NT.  I
> understand how Microsoft works, and how everything runs in Microsoft.  Now
> Linux is a new experience for me, just like I am sure at one time you where
> new to the Linux inviroment.  Unlike you I do not have a good understanding
> of how things work in the Linux inviroment.  I have a good feel on how to
> navigate around Linux, but not to install programs.  So before you tell
> some one where to go think back to when you first started.  So unlike you,
> I have not got the experience on Linux.  All I ever here is about how good
> Linux is, and how I should learn about Linux.  From what I have expereince
> in the past 20 days is that Linux, and the poeple using it perfer to keep
> the secret on how to use the program to them self.  I have tried Red Hat
> for support, I have tried these E-mail help Places, I have Asked poeple,
> who use Linux, and all I have been getting is frustrated.  I have even
> offered my toll free number to any one that could call, and explain a
> little about linux, and I got no response.  Is Linux some sort of secret
> program, that only a few certain poeple hold the knoledge, and the others
> are left out?  I have come to the conculsion the reason Linux is not as
> Popular as Microsoft Products is that no one is willing to help, and have
> patients for some one who gets dumped into a new inviroment, tring to meet
> deadlines, and is realizing that the more he ask the less he understands.
> To conculd, I would like to say thank you for what little help I got, and
> appriciate the little help a few of you where able to provide to me.
>
> Justin
> 866-327-6644

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS,
http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux