Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: help installing programs

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: help installing programs
From: Dustin Decker <dustind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:09:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, The PC-Zone (Justin) wrote:

Hey Justin,
[snip]

> All I ever here is about how good Linux is, and how I should learn
> about Linux.  From what I have expereince in the past 20 days is that
> Linux, and the poeple using it perfer to keep the secret on how to use
> the program to them self.

This is part of the tremendously steep learning curve that accompanies
nearly any *nix variant for those who have thus far never been exposed
to it.  The reasons are both complex and simple all at the same time.
It is good to know that everything you've _heard_ about Linux has been
positive - this is the first step to escaping the world of Fear,
Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) that so many other operating systems (not
just the Redmond folks) like to sling.  It means you're ready.

> Is Linux some sort of secret program, that only a few certain poeple
> hold the knoledge, and the others are left out?  I have come to the
> conculsion the reason Linux is not as Popular as Microsoft Products is
> that no one is willing to help

Forgive me if I seem a bit rash here, but the best way to view yourself
a the moment from the perspective of an addict.  You've been using your
favorite drug for years, and know all the right doses to administer
yourself.  You're accustomed to paying top dollar for a drug that
doesn't get you nearly as high as the free one does - but most folks
aren't willing to hold your hand as you transition to another drug such
as Linux.  The beauty of Linux is that you can do anything you want with
it - you aren't restricted by cumbersome end user license agreements and
the like, and you have access to the full source code for the kernel....

This makes a nice move into explaining to you that linux itself is only
the kernel that makes the operating system run.  There are literally
thousands of other programs to become familiar with before you'll be
able to see the power that is now within your grasp.

The earlier recommendations to get a book or two are the best advice
you'll ever get - you can't realistically expect someone to train you
outright without spending a lot of time and money in a classroom
setting.

Feel free to give me a call if you would like someone to provide you a
better explaination of what linux is... in short, it's just a gun.  The
problem is you need to learn more than just how to pull the trigger -
you need to understand how to smelt your own bullets, combine the
requisite amounts of charcoal, saltpeter and such to make gunpower, how
to make brass cartridges, load them, test fire, and THEN go hunting.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | "Where there is much light there is     |
| 913.579.7117                |  also much shadow."                     |