Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Info

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Info
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 00:15:02 -0500

> I would love to provide more info, but when asked to do something, or
asked
> like what output I am using, I am immediatly lost.

the output is the text that the command _outputs_ to the screen....  such
as:
"Error: blah blah blah" or even stuff that isn't errors (ie: "Starting
sendmail...")...  it is not something you use per se, but it's incredibly
important in troubleshooting...  and much more informative than "it doesn't
work"...

> I would love to cut and
> past os items for you, but I am using my Microsoft Windows 2000 Server to
> access the internet, I have not bothered putting the Linux machine online
> other then to download A program or two.

how are you accessing the linux box?  by console (ie: sitting in front of
the machine) or via telnet or SSH?  either way, you could always just type
what the output is instead of cut & paste or whatever...

> Now what is happening, and the
> only reason I know this is becuase a guy that has had a little more
> experince then me called, and talked to me for a few Minutes (I finally
> found some one that was willing to explain what the hell they where
talking
> about).

um, most of us have explained what we were talking about...  very well, in
fact...  IMHO, step one of using linux is to do some research on your own...
step two is to *listen*...  step three is to apply the knowledge you learn
to the problem you are facing and hopefully learn from it...  it goes back
to the whole "feed a man a fish, he eats for a day... teach him how to fish,
he eats for a lifetime..."

> I am using Kpackages, and when I click install, it takes me to the
> next selection where I choose the program I want to install, and when I
put
> a check mark by the program I want, and click install next, it takes me
> right back to the beggining.

i have not used kpackages personally (i run slackware, which handles
packages very differently)...  try using the commandline tools like the
'rpm' command...

> On antoher Note, I would love to read the manual, if I had one!

c'mon...  i (and others) have provided multiple links and reference
materials...  try reading them before complaining about not having a
manual...  plus, you have MANY manuals on your system, thanks to a great
program called "man" (which stands for [*gasp*] manual)...  'man rpm' will
tell you a lot about rpm...  and if you don't know how to use man, try 'man
man'...  please actually LOOK into things before complaining about not
having them...  you have plenty of reading material that comes with most any
distro, and just because it's not on paper does not mean it is not a
manual...

> Now on a more up note, my corporation, just authorized me to throw Linux
out
> the door, and go t back to all Microsoft Windows  2000© Machines,.

up note?  UP note?  dude, seriously...  i've worked in many places that ran
NT and/or 2k along side linux and *bsd...  believe me...  windows may be
easier to setup to begin with (however, i don't really think so for myself),
but linux is MUCH easier to KEEP running...  at some of the places i've
worked, we'd have to reboot the windows machines nightly and/or weekly...
whereas some of the linux servers had uptimes of well over a year...

sorry this e-mail is a bit on the rude side...  it's been a long day (had to
deal with a windows box today), and i don't have a whole lot of patience for
people who ask for help, but then run when the answer involves doing stuff
for themselves...

gLaNDix

---