Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] How to get started on Linux (was : help installing program

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] How to get started on Linux (was : help installing programs)
From: "Koji Hayakawa" <sylf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:48:37 -0500

Business before pleasure?  Yes, it sure applies to Linux.  A lot of Linux
(and Unix) applications are written with functionality and security as the
top priority.  User friendliness comes second hand.

As an application matures, finally people will start writing documents on
them.  People have taken their own time to write these documents for you to
read.  If you are not willing to go find and read these documents, then you
won't be able to survive in Linux world very well.  If you can only find
source-code distribution of a particular software, then you have to learn
how to compile and install stuch package.  And printed books would be the
best source of help for that, if you don't know how to find help on line.
That's why I suggested a few books in my reply.

Back to qmail, though.

I believe the package you grabbed (I'm not sure exactly which file you
grabbed, since you only listed URL that lists the directory content) is not
exactly what you want.  If you go to their main site
(http://www.qmail.org/top.html), toward the top, it has link to RedHat RPM
(http://www.qmail.org/rpms/).  Since you are running RedHat 7.3, you will
want to grab the file named rpm-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm.

Once you grab the new file, go read how to use RPM in printed book.  I can't
tell you exactly what to do with RPM, since I don't use it everyday.  You
can try this for a starter though:

1.  Open an console window (command prompt)
2.  switch directory to where you saved the downloaded RPM file
3.  Issue this command
       rpm --install rpm-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm
4.  Hopefully it'll install the software for you.
5.  It may tell you that you are missing dependent rpm modules.  If that's
the case, refer to the book of your choice how to handle them.  If you just
want to find certain RPM, then good site is RPM repository at
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

And once again, do read all the documents provided.  Qmail has this nice
documents page:  http://www.qmail.org/man/index.html.  Start with README,
FAQ, and INSTALL.  The rest is up to you.

Oh, and make sure to learn to use a text editor.  Pico is a nice and easy
software, but I believe RedHat doesn't install it by default.  vi and emacs
comes to top of people's head, but they sure aren't easiest text editors on
the face of this planet.  Books, again, will help you get started on this.
The reason you want to learn these text editor is, because, in many cases,
Linux lacks point-and-click environment for system configurations and
software configurations.  RedHat does pretty good job of implimenting system
config in GUI, but I'm not sure abuot qmail.

Good luck to ya....