Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: help installing programs

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: help installing programs
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:00:08 -0500

On Saturday 17 August 2002 10:42 am, you wrote:

> good Linux is, and how I should learn about Linux.  From what I have
> expereince in the past 20 days is that Linux, and the poeple using it
> perfer to keep the secret on how to use the program to them self.  I

this is something i have never seen, heard, or experienced myself in the
5 or 6 years i've been working with linux... i would guess atleast 90%
of all linux users are extatic to bring a new user to linux and are
more than willing to help out as long as the user wants help, is
willing to do some research on their own, and most importantly follows
directions.

> getting is frustrated.  I have even offered my toll free number to
> any one that could call, and explain a little about linux, and I got
> no response.

you have to remember that for some of us on this list, this is just a
"respond when you have a free second" list at times...  ie: i'm
attending school this year while working and going through a custody
battle for my son....  i don't have time to give someone a call and
walk them through installation of a program, but i'm more than willing
to drop an e-mail to the list when i get a chance (be it 4pm or 4am)...

> Is Linux some sort of secret program, that only a few
> certain poeple hold the knoledge, and the others are left out?  I

no, go to the bookstore... there are quite a few books out there...
also, sites such as linuxnewbie.org and linuxdocs.org have been more
than helpful...  and when people say RTFM, they aren't always kidding..
you can learn a lot by actually reading the manual or instructions...

> have come to the conculsion the reason Linux is not as Popular as
> Microsoft Products is that no one is willing to help, and have
> patients for some one who gets dumped into a new inviroment, tring to
> meet deadlines, and is realizing that the more he ask the less he
> understands.  To conculd, I would like to say thank you for what
> little help I got, and appriciate the little help a few of you where
> able to provide to me.

so, after 2 days of emails, you decide this based on what?  many have
e-mailed, but have you followed any of the instructions/requests?  i
asked you what commands, output, etc you are seeing/using, but i
haven't gotten anything more than "i'm using rpm to install qmail."
well, are you doing it on the commandline ('rpm -Uvh <qmail-rpm>')?
are you using a gui client (ie: KDE or GNOME based installer)?  you say
it keeps going in loops...  what do you mean?  what is the _exact_
output that you are seeing? (btw, if you're in a gui environment, you
can hilight the text in your xterm and then middle-click [or click both
mouse buttons if you don't have a middle mouse button] and it will
paste the selected text wherever you click)

basically, before i or anyone else can really help out, we need some
_real_ information...  when i ask what output you are seeing, i expect
to see a cut and paste version of what you are seeing on the
commandline there, not a general "i did this" type of response...  i
think i speak for most everyone on this list when i say we are more
than willing to help, but you have to help us help you by following
directions and giving the information requested...

good luck,
gLaNDix