Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Info

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Info
From: Michael Bainum <mbainum@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:54:49 -0500

    I would like to make some suggestions, just in case this whole
fiasco wasn't a troll.  1st)  If you are truly interested in Linux, then
play around with it at home on a secondary system/harddrive.  This will
give you the time needed to climb the very steep learning curve,
understand how linux works, and why it has such a good rap.  2nd)  Use
the command line.  I know this is foreign to most of the Windows people
but believe it or not you can do more, faster on the command line than
in a gui.  If I where to [guess] at your problem I would say that the
Kpackages program was your whole problem.  3rd)  Do your homework, ie.
 RTFM.   In the very least attend a couple of aclug meetings, this will
get you in with the right crowd, and you can sponge knowledge off of the
'experts'.
    These comments and suggestions where not meant to be cynical or
sarcastic.  Please don't take them that way, they where meant to be a
help and to point you in the right direction.  There is a right and a
wrong, even in computer science.