Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Red Hat 5.2 to 6.2 -

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Red Hat 5.2 to 6.2 -
From: Bob Goodwin <w2bod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:47:18 -0400

Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked the ualberta site and sent
my friend directions to the two huge .iso files. I haven't had a
call from him yet this morning, don't know how long it will take on
his Road Runner cable connection but it says it would take me some
27 hours via dial up for one disk! If he will do it it will probably
have to be on the weekend.

The latest version of Linux that appears on the Tucows page is 6.2
so I assumed that was it.

I did download the boot.img file which I dd'd [ dd if=boot.img
of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k ]  it  to a flop but for some reason it doesn't
boot the computer? The old disk for RH5.2 always works. This one
starts and produces and then error message, perhaps I didn't get
everything on the floppy. Maybe it needs bs=1772k? I know some of
the muLinux stuff is done that way to squeeze a few more bytes onto
the 1.44k disk.

I really just wanted to know if it offered an upgrade option which
it apparently does as indicated by reading the .msg files.

Bob Goodwin
 RedHat 5.2 LINUX 2.0.36

 Everyone is entitled to my opinion.