Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Printer on Red Hat 6.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Printer on Red Hat 6.2
From: Lowell <lowell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 17:38:44 -0500

Bruce Bales wrote:

> I found a website that explains that many folks setting up servers didn't
> want xwindows so RH left it out
> of the regular server set-up.  This site also tells how to add xwindows.  I
> may have to go ahead and do
> that so that (hopefully) I can use printtool.
>
> Had hoped I could avoid windows, but that may be the only way I'll get the
> printer to work.
>
> I don't understand the /proc directory, but on the Mandrake machine, there is
> a directory /proc/parport.
> I tried to mkdir to add a parport directory to the RH box, but "permission
> denied."
> bruce

                /proc is a funny place; they're not
                real files and directories, as I
                understand it. cat /etc/mtab gives
                the harddrive as a mounted filesystem
                and /proc and /dev/pts as something else
                altogether (I guess). I don't know if
                root can do usual things there or if
                even (s)he is "denied permission"...
                My RH doesn't have /proc/parport; it
                has ioports, but no mention of the
                parallel port in there...
                You're not the first one to have trouble
                printing under RedHat; I've fought that
                battle a time or two, but it never seems
                to stick with me. Last time my problem was
                the lack of a /etc/hosts.lpd. Look for
                such a directory before tearing any hair out.
                Should you need to know, someone gave me this
                format, I used it, and printing started:

                        192.142.123.1/6
                        fred
                        wilma
                        barney
                        betty
                        bam-bam
                        pebbles
                        192.142.123.1  #ip address of print server (fred)
                This was for remote printing, though, so maybe
                it's OT.

                "Become a monk. The food is better
                 and the hours are no worse."