Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Printer on Red Hat 6.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Printer on Red Hat 6.2
From: Lowell <lowell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 16:47:03 -0500

Bruce Bales wrote:

> Printer and computer worked fine (at least for text) until I replaced
> Mandrake7.1 with Redhat 6.2.
>
> I found last night that the Mandrake system behind me has five lines in dmesg
> that are not in the RH
> system.  They look significant:
>     parport0: PC style at 0x378, using IRQ3
>     parport_probe: succeeded
>     parport0: Printer, canon BJC-4100
>     lp0: using parport0 (polling)
>     lp0 offline
>
> Any ideas?
>
> By the way, a capital tilde N has to be pretty useless - not many words start
> with tilde N.
> bruce

                In /proc/interrupts, I go straight from
                2 to 5, with no mention of parport any-
                where; 'course, this is RH, too.
                If this same setup worked fine under Man-
                drake (all the same hdwr.) then these lines
                sure seem like the answer, but what puts
                those lines in the boot process that dmesg
                records?
                My dmesg has been non-functional since the
                first of the year (am I the only one who can
                actually claim to have had a Y2K misadventure?)
                All it will say (100+ lines of it) is "VFS:
                Disk change detected on device ide1 (22.64)"
                Not much help...
                You're right; not a single word begins with
                a ~N, although if the whole word...
"Become a monk. The food is better
 and the hours are no worse."