Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:01:46 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> Mateusz,
>
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Mateusz Stefek wrote:

>>Now that we have ocean numbers it seems natural that the next step we
>>should code are inland lakes in borders code.
>
> Please give us some background.  Why should border code for inland lakes
> be different from border code for oceans?  Do ocean tiles get assigned at
> all?

The current rule is "any ocean tile bordered by 5 tiles from the same
continent is owned by that continent".

The code is ugly and not particularly accurate.  The idea is that inland
lakes should be owned.  But if the lake is large enough this doesn't
work.  I've tried coming up with something better (something recursive
at least) but with no success.  However if we knew a body of water only
bordered one continent then it would be easy enough to assign those
tiles to that continent.

Unless there is only one continent in the world, that is.

jason