Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:55:40 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Jason Short wrote:

>>- Continents are assigned by mapgen.  Continents do not respect land/sea
>>boundaries.  Continent numbers never change.  Continents may even be
>>named (clicking on the tile shows the continent).
>>
>>- AI code that wants to look at land/sea boundaries will have its own
>>internal data.
>>
>>In this case the inland lake gets assigned to the same continent as the
>>land surrounding it.  Of course the algorithm may be the same but to
>>logic is moved to mapgen.
>>
>>I only mention it again because nobody had any comments last time I did so.
>
> I only didn't comment because I saw no point in the proposition.  What are
> the benefits?  I can only see costs...

1 Better behavior of continent-wide effects.  Small islands may be a
part of a larger continent rather than their own continent.  Building
land bridges to increase continent effects is no longer possible.
Cities in the ocean may have different continents rather than one huge
continent.

2 More realistic behavior of Earth scenarios.  It is possible to use the
"real" continents.

3 Possibility to name continents.

#1 is the real benefit.  2 and 3 are just nice side effects.

I think we need to consider what continents are really supposed to do.
AFAICT:

- In the beginning, Freeciv was a civ1 clone.  Civ1 has continent-wide
effects so continents were needed.  It was easy to count continents just
by iterating over the landmass.  Note that civ1 does not allow terrain
transformations.

- Later Freeciv turned into a clone of civ2.  Civ2 has no continent-wide
effects that I know of.  Of course civ1 compatibility was kept and so
were continents.  To keep things sane the continents now had to be
renumbered when terrain was transformed (which was surely never the
original intent).

- At some point the AI code had the clever notion of using continents to
determine connectivity.

- Recently this idea has been expanded to do the same thing for oceans.

The fact that continents are in many places referred to as "islands" I
think shows that the original idea has been lost.  The main purpose of
continents is to provide for continent-wide effects.  Continents are not
the same thing as islands and people don't really expect them to be.

I'm not sure that fixed continent numbers is the answer but I think the
current system isn't quite right.  When we try to generalize it (for
instance, by having cities in the ocean) the problems creep up to the
surface.

jason