Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:54:28 -0700

Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:16:45AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

>>I again suggest my previous idea for continents.
>>
>>- Continents are assigned by mapgen.  Continents do not respect land/sea
>>boundaries.  Continent numbers never change.  Continents may even be
>>named (clicking on the tile shows the continent).
>>
>>- AI code that wants to look at land/sea boundaries will have its own
>>internal data.
>>
>>In this case the inland lake gets assigned to the same continent as the
>>land surrounding it.  Of course the algorithm may be the same but to
>>logic is moved to mapgen.
>>
>>I only mention it again because nobody had any comments last time I did so.
>
> I'm not an immediate fan of the idea, but out of curiosity, how would
> continent numbers be assigned?

To begin with, the same way they are now.

Then inland lakes should be a part of the continent surrounding them.

Coastal squares should be a part of the one of the continents adjacent
to them.

> I don't like the idea of the AI having yet more maps and taking up yet more
> memory. This seems pointless.

That is the major drawback.  Perhaps someday the AI will not use the
continent value to determine connectivity (it's just an approximation)
and will use PF directly.

jason