Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:46:04 -0700

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> > I only didn't comment because I saw no point in the proposition.What are
> > the benefits?I can only see costs...
>
> 1 Better behavior of continent-wide effects.Small islands may be a
> part of a larger continent rather than their own continent.Building
> land bridges to increase continent effects is no longer possible.
> Cities in the ocean may have different continents rather than one huge
> continent.
>
> 2 More realistic behavior of Earth scenarios.It is possible to use the
> "real" continents.
>
> 3 Possibility to name continents.
>
> #1 is the real benefit.2 and 3 are just nice side effects.

IMHO, these features really are not worth the code they would be printed
on...

As you said yourself, continents only have meaning in two contexts: 1)
continent-wide effects. These are only used in civ1 ruleset. And 2) AI.

Since this has only a negative effect on the AI, that leaves civ1. Now, if
it is maximum compatibility we want, then civ1 did not have named
continents either, and ocean terraforming isn't allowed, IIRC, so land
bridges isn't an issue.

  - Per