Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:58:58 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Jason Short wrote:
>

>>>I don't like the idea of the AI having yet more maps and taking up yet more
>>>memory. This seems pointless.
>>
>>That is the major drawback.  Perhaps someday the AI will not use the
>>continent value to determine connectivity (it's just an approximation)
>>and will use PF directly.
>
> The reason I coded ocean numbers is because you, Jason D. Short, asked me
> why I use PF for connectivity instead of ocean numbers!

;-)

I think what I said was probably more like "Why do we use PF for ocean
connectivity, when continent numbers do this already for land?"

The advantages and disadvantages of using continent numbers are well
known.  It is an approximation but much faster.  But someday computers
will be fast enough so that PF is sufficiently fast.

jason