Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <->

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <-> land
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:45:27 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On the scale Freeciv default operates, it is ridiculous from a 'realism'
> perspective that it is possible to turn an entire land tile into ocean and
> an entire ocean tile into land. IIRC, it is possible to turn this off in
> the ruleset.

  And I thought that ruleset option to be too complicated when it was
first introduced...

  It is not only a on/off switch but gives some conditions where
ocean<->land conversion can happen, not so much more abstract than what
Marcelo was proposing. It is defined as minimum number of land tiles
adjacent to ocean tile to be turned into land or vise versa.

  Marcelo, you want to make it impossible to grow small islands big.
Now,  I don't know what is your definition of 'small', but you can't
grow two tile islands even with current default rules. And only if all
original tiles are in one line, can size three island grow over size four.

  I personally allow only turning one tile inland lakes into land
(ocean_reclaim_requirement=8), sometimes also some filling of narrow
bays (ocean_reclaim_requirement=7). As long as ocean_reclaim_requirement
 > 6 there is no possibility to connect two continents.

  You can figure out yourself which values of ocean_reclaim_requirement
and land_channel_requirement give which kind of results in hex topologies.

   - Caz