Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <->

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <-> land
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:30:41 -0700

Le lun 16/08/2004 à 11:49, Per I. Mathisen a écrit :

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Marcelo Burda wrote:
> > Freeciv is a strategy games and a simulation one too.
> > Is aland bridges joining continents a good simulation concept. the
> > strategy to send a flow of ing to make a land bridge to get a another
> > continents with land unit instead to use a naval attack can be good
> > strategy in some case but is bas as a simulation game. i think this has
> > to be blocked.
> >
> > no real civilization can do it, make some weak canals or pont easy to
> > destroy (by the enemy) to connect oceans or land masses is best.
>
> On the scale Freeciv default operates, it is ridiculous from a 'realism'
> perspective that it is possible to turn an entire land tile into ocean and
> an entire ocean tile into land. IIRC, it is possible to turn this off in
> the ruleset.
MMM !
Scale of cities are very compressed on a single position that is true,
and in a single tile we can put a unlimited number of units. from this
point that is true, but there are simplified rules.
there are real examples (Holand) were big zones of land are get to sea
with simplified rules this can be converted to turn all a tile to-from a
land. but this is one of limit i propose; "no small isle can me
converted in a big one" this is a simplified rule to avoid basic change
of nature of a isle, and the other simplified rule is "never create or
joint isles"
As simplified tules this can be accepted as realistic at all scales

> However, on some smaller scales, that might be used in modpacks or
> scenarios, this is entire realistic.
>
> As to joining continents, Freeciv does not model continental drift, and it
> would be ridiculous of us to do so.
At civilization times scale continent no drift really.

>  Joining two continents in Freeciv
> would take enormous effort, and I can't imagine it happening except in
> extremely rare cases. To make a hugely complicated rule to prevent it from
> happening would seem really overkill to me. So that is not going to
> happen.
this is erronious there are a simple code to do it
bool Can_turn_in_land(int x, int y)
{
  int cont = 0;

  /* no joint continent rule */
  adjc_iterate(x, y, x1, y1) {
    if(!is_ocean(map_get_terrain(x,y))) {
      if (cont == 0) {
        cont = map_get_continent(x, y);
      } else if ( cont != map_get_continent(x, y)) {
          return FALSE;
      }
    }
  } adjc_iterate_end;

  /* no new isles rules */
  if(cont == 0 ) {
    return FALSE;
  }

  /* no grown smaller isles to medium */
  /* 7 is the limit to call a isle small */
  if(MASS_SIZE(cont)  == 7) {
      return FALSE;
  }

  return TRUE;
}
MASS_SIZE(nr) is defined in my last patch of map generator

>   - Per

Marcelo