Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <->

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <-> land
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:47:58 -0700

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:
> If realism is the point here, we have to remove terraforming alltogether, it
> never has happened *in tile scale* anywhere in the world. Instead, I
> consider a consistent game play as far more important. A very special rule
> to restrict terraforming is simply a break.

I agree. Such an artificial restriction is just not going to happen.

But, there is a way to achieve somewhat the same restriction, without
resorting to artificial limitations. We can introduce a distinction
between of "shallow" and "deep" ocean tiles, and split them up as two
different tiles, as in Civ3. Terraforming can then only be done on shallow
waters, and continents would of course be divided by deep ocean.

  - Per