Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <-> land

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9709) Suggestion: limit on terraforming ocean <-> land
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:29:54 -0700

> [jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Mon Aug 16 15:27:23 2004]:
>
> I think this will improve both realism and gameplay.
>
> Realism: Consider an Earth scenario.  North and South America should
>    be separate continents even though they border each other.  Same
>    with Europe/Asia/Africa.  Meanwhile all small islands are part of a
>    larger continent, not their own continent.  The Gulf of Mexico
>    would probably be considered to be part of North America.  But if
>    someone were to build a land bridge from North America to Europe
>    one would draw the line somewhere and call it the border of the two
>    continents.  (Having an Earth scenario behave like people would
>    expect it to is a worthwhile type of realism IMO.)

This is interesting.  However, I don't think a few scenarios prodive
enough reason for this "feature".  If this is to be implemented, it
should be applicable to random maps as well.  I guess it is possible to
find a diffferent way to divide a random map into "continents".

> Gameplay: building land bridges to enhance the effect of continent-
>    only wonders will no longer work.  Good, I say.  And small islands
>    adjacent to large continents with continent-only wonders may be
>    affected by those wonders.

I have no problem with this.

Mike Jing