[Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 02:39:42 -0800

From: Mark Metson [mailto:markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx]

> For me any/all free open-source code is a good result,
> because I tend to a
> unix-style approach of building-blocks. It has always been a major
> annoyance to me that so many potential components /
> building-blocks are
> commercial as to prevent their assembly into larger structures.

Ok.  In theory, those are laudable goals.

In practice, are you meeting those goals with Freeciv?  No, you are not.

Why?

Obvious big stinker #1: you are using C in 2003.  Get with the program:
the mainstream computer industry moved on to object oriented methods and
higher level languages a long time ago.  Nobody is going to waste their
time reusing your C code.

Not-so-obvious big stinker #2: your AI code is awful.  I'm not saying
so, your README.AI.txt says so.  I'm not saying it plays awful, it's
merely mediocre, which in and of itself can be a start towards something
better.  Rather, your AI code is awful for code reuse.  I read your
README on whether your Freeciv is worth anything as an AI testbed.  It
isn't.

Somewhat apparent stinker #3: as a game design, you haven't offered any
significant value-add over Civ II.  You don't have a better modding
setup than Civ II.  By now, you probably have an inferior modding setup
to Civ III.  You don't have any demonstration, from a codebase or
project organization standpoint, that Freeciv *can*, in fact, be reused
for game design anything.  No proof of concept.  It seems all you can
accomplish is Civ II with very minor changes.

Maybe you've got some great network code that I haven't looked at.
Multiplayer is the one aspect of Freeciv I haven't checked out.  Because
frankly, I can't fathom wasting so much time trying to coordinate with
other people for such long games.

Otherwise, have you built good components for other people to reuse?
No, you haven't.

I floated the idea of helping you move on from C to Python.  You guys
amicably said no.

I didn't offer to help you with AI.  For me, Python was a precondition.
I wouldn't touch your current AI code with a ten foot pole.  Far less
work to write my own AI code for my own games from scratch!

I offered you a game design idea.  You declined.  Not just on specific
grounds, but also on general grounds that indicate you're resistant to
any major change, no matter what it is.  You say you don't want to be a
game engine.  Of what (re)use are you then?

All it would take for you guys to Fly Higher would be an act of will.
It is baffling that you don't do it.  Don't you ever worry about kicking
yourself later, about could-have-beens?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.