[Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:43:03 -0800

From: Raimar Falke [mailto:i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 02:39:42AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> >
> > You don't have a better modding setup than Civ II.
>
> I don't know the modding setup of Civ2 but with generic effects
> Freeciv will be very flexible. Generic effects WILL be included in
> 1.15. To see how this looks like from a modder point of view take a
> look at FreecivAC (http://freecivac.sourceforge.net/) which has
> similar code to generic effects.
>
> Ben also just did the large amount of work you are still avoiding and
> created FreecivAC.

Which large amount of work is that?  Pythonizing Freeciv and creating a
"kitchen sink" submissions infrastructure?  I seriously doubt Ben has
done all of that!

Or should I translate your sentence, "Also, Ben did a large amount of
work and created FreecivAC.  You are still avoiding doing a similar
large amount of work."  Darned straight I am!  I assess risks before I
act.  Development time is not free.  Maybe free for you, but not for me.
It costs me money.  And I notice that FreecivAC's last stable release
version was May 2000, which says to me I should not take any cues about
project management from Ben's work.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.