[Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process? (was Re: Migration)

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process? (was Re: Migration)
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:53:59 +0100

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:13:46PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Is this about process rather than results?

Yes. You can try yourself on problems where you didn't got the
opportunities to tackle these in your regular job. This may by doing
an AI or the task of reducting the bandwidth usage of the protocol
used. You can also see what certain tools are worth if you push them
against a non-trivial code base you know. You can learn how to spot
errors in your code and the code of others. You can learn about
problems and their solutions which you normally won't touch you.

> I'm very results-oriented, I really can't fathom people who program
> solely or primarily for process.

I have a regular job where my boss _is_ results-oriented and so I have
to be. The job and Freeciv are just different.

        Raimar
--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "Windows is the one true OS. MS invented the GUI. MS invented