[Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process?

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process?
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:40:48 -0400 (AST)

For me any/all free open-source code is a good result, because I tend to a
unix-style approach of building-blocks. It has always been a major
annoyance to me that so many potential components / building-blocks are
commercial as to prevent their assembly into larger structures.

Really of course I would like to see such fundamental building-blocks as
accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, inventory, and general
ledger, preferrably in a form in which really all are just parts of the
general ledger and in which currency tokens are just another inventory
item so that you can designate any inventory item arbitrarily as being
presented as the "currency" for purposes of a particular view. Like "how
much is that in icecream cones" or "how many cans of tomato soup does that
cost" etc. Oh also job costing of course. The usual office stuff that for
some reason recent applications claiming to be "office" do not seem to
include.

I want everything to be availablle as free open source software, including
games, in order that any game can include the complete gamut of real-life
software. Like if you zoom in on a city and zoom in on an office in that
city then in that office maybe each desk migh have a complete suite of
office software. Or in any game that has individual characters, those
characters could chose to while away some time playing any other game, and
it'd be the character playing it within the game not the player playing it
outside of the game.

The ability to imbed anything in anything else, and the ability to assume
the pre-existence of all previously developed software when building
something, are important. We already see things like how handy it is to
assume the eixstence of browsing ability and email ability for example. It
would be nicer to also be able to assume the existence of almost anything
that has ever been developed, without having to make your potential users
have to go out and actually buy all those building-blocks.

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/