[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:28:18 -0800

From: Raimar Falke [mailto:i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Brandon wrote:
>
> > Creating a framework for more game variants is pretty much
> > synonymous
> > with creating a managerial infrastructure that allows lotsa
> > things to
> > get quickly checked in to a source pool.  It's a question of project
> > growth.  Do you want to grow Freeciv more, or are you happy
> > where it's
> > at?  To get a project past a certain size, you have to give
> > contributors
> > significant ownership and control over a project.
>
> Freeciv is already past "a certain size".

You are not past a certain size as I defined it above.  You do not have
the managerial infrastructure of which I speak.  You have a fairly
straightforward Gatekeeper model.

> If someone wants it growing faster someone is free to copy the
> codebase and do its own project. For the current Freeciv project
> growing faster isn't a goal.

Sure.  Just pinning you guys down on exactly where you stand.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.