[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:41:31 +0100

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:12:10PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> From: Mike Kaufman [mailto:kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > One of freeciv's goals is flexibility in gameplay options, but I
> > have no interest in the kind of redefinition I think you have in mind.
> > And "you won't know until you try." is usually the type of
> > statement that's
> > impetus for the kitchen sink approach. It also tends to breed
> > a lot of hurt
> > feelings when a lot of time is spent coding for an eventually
> > rejection of the idea on whatever grounds.
>
> Time for the "fair criticism" dept.  Privately, I've heard you guys get
> that criticism anyways, just for having slow turnaround times for
> incorporating certain people's patches.  I can't remember what exactly.
> But you definitely appear to be pursuing a "Gatekeeper" management
> strategy, and you can't get lotsa people working on something doing
> that.  You seem to have plenty of labor for your purposes, but you also
> seem to be limited by your purposes.
>
> Creating a framework for more game variants is pretty much synonymous
> with creating a managerial infrastructure that allows lotsa things to
> get quickly checked in to a source pool.  It's a question of project
> growth.  Do you want to grow Freeciv more, or are you happy where it's
> at?  To get a project past a certain size, you have to give contributors
> significant ownership and control over a project.

Freeciv is already past "a certain size".

If someone wants it growing faster someone is free to copy the
codebase and do its own project. For the current Freeciv project
growing faster isn't a goal.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to