[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:52:07 -0800

From: Stepan Roh [mailto:stepan@xxxxxxxx]
> To: Brandon J. Van Every
> >
> > I can tell you one thing.  Right now, nobody at the Game Developer
> > Conference would ever give you guys a standing ovation for
> > what you've done.
>
> It's a game not some research project.

I was being generous about what your reception would be like.

> Fun to play is The Goal.

That goal was solved by Sid Meier / Brian Reynolds.  You guys haven't
contributed anything to that goal.  Your AI, for instance, is not any
better an opponent than the Civ II, CTP2, or SMAC AIs.  Civ III's is the
only good one so far.

What I'm hearing, is that Freeciv was undertaken for the simple purpose
of providing Civ II on Linux and other unsupported platforms, and to
ensure decent network play.  Ok, you've achieved that.  Credit where
credit is due.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.