[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:03:14 -0800

From: Raimar Falke [mailto:i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

> And I agree with Per that your proposal requires more
> interaction. I think that more interaction (have the choice to choose)
> was your goal. But I'm not sure if this is an improvement to the
> general gameplay.

Here is the problem with "but I'm not sure...."  You won't know until
you try.  You can either take the view that Freeciv is a precious tower
whose game design integrity should be defended, or you can start working
towards Freeciv being a game design engine rather than such a specific
game.  What do you guys want to do?  I have no interest in the former.
I will continue to provide bug reports and make suggestions about minor
Freeciv tweaks, so long as I'm still playing Freeciv, but I will always
leave it to other people to implement them.  There's nothing valuable to
me about micro-refining the Sid Meier / Brian Reynolds legacy, it is not
my career goal.

And if any of you have "career" goals, it is by definition a waste of
your time too.  You cannot make your career by making the most minor
tweaks to someone else's work.  You can do it just fine as a hobbyist
goal, and having a hobby is a valid goal for some people.  Just be sure
what your career vs. hobby aspirations are, and what kind of project you
really want to put your effort into.

I would applaud a "Settlers = 10 foodboxes" rule change.  I won't be the
one to implement it though.  I do not know the Freeciv codebase and
won't learn it for such a small fish.  It could be a tasty fish,
however, so enjoy it!

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.