[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:22:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Migration - a proposed major rule change for Freeciv

This idea is not very sound, I'm afraid. It creates too many units that
may have to micromanaged (sent back home) or watch move around every turn.
It goes against the KISS principle. Also I dislike the idea of not being
in control of my population ;)

> OTHER CORE RULE CHANGES
> -----------------------
>
> Some other basic rule changes needed to make this work:
>
> --> Settlers can no longer be used to increase a city's size by 1. If a
> Settler is added to a city, it only increases the city's food boxes by
> 10 units.That is because a Settler is only 10,000 people.  The current
> Civ / Freeciv system is absurd, where a cheap Settler becomes worth an
> arbitrary number of foodboxes if a player is sufficiently bureaucratic
> and micromanagerial with his unit production.
>
> --> Ergo, the creation of a Settler also merely reduces a city's food
> boxes by 10.The work is in coughing up the shields, not the people.
> Founding cities will be rather easy.Making them grow will be tougher.

I think these ideas are very good, on the other hand. A bigpox city is *a
lot* more punished by building a settler than a smallpox city nowadays.

  - Per