[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:19:14 +0100

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 12:10:59AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Migration - a proposed major rule change for Freeciv
> by Brandon Van Every, 12-16-2003
>

> MOTIVATION
> ----------
>
> "Migration" is a proposal for a major rule change to Freeciv.  It would
> be a significant deparure from the Sid Meier / Bryan Reynolds approach
> to the Civ genre.  It is designed to combat the Smallpox / ICS problem,
> and also to be an interesting game mechanic in its own right.  It should
> be evaluated in those terms - assuming Freeciv developers are willing to
> make a big leap out of "the typical" way Civ is played.
>
> The core idea is that not all cities are equally desireable to live in.
> A lot of people really don't enjoy living in far-flung farming hamlets -
> as rational a proposition to the military planner as that may be.  They
> like the jobs and amenities that big urban centers have to offer.
> Consequently, when a much better quality of life than their current
> circumstances is available, they pick up their stuff and move.
>
> Migrants will even move to the cities of foreign countries, if
> technology, governmental policy, and the military situation permit it.
> Consequently, those civilizations that build big, attractive cities have
> an advantage.  The Smallpoxers will have their barbarian rabble
> populations sucked right out of them!

I think this is similar to the Civ3's idea that you can overtake enemy
cities with more culture. The ideas are the same. The implementations
differ. And I agree with Per that your proposal requires more
interaction. I think that more interaction (have the choice to choose)
was your goal. But I'm not sure if this is an improvement to the
general gameplay.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  reality.sys corrupt. Reboot Universe? (y,n,q)