[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration (fwd)

To: Morgan Jones <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Migration (fwd)
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:33:15 +0100

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 01:25:33PM +1300, Morgan Jones wrote:
> > IMPLEMENTATION
> > --------------
>
> > Comments welcome.
> >
> Migration is quite similar in some ways to culture from Civ3.  But
> there is a key difference I feel.
>
> Cathedrals and other happiness style improvements shouldn't cause
> migration.  Migration should simply be caused by opportunity -
> production, infrastructure, etc.
>
> Happiness improvements should still be needed to keep the citizens of
> growing cities happy or content, but they shouldn't be the cause of
> that growth.

I disagree. If two cities are equal except there is a higher living
standard in one (higher luxus spending, more buildings which can bring
happiness/fun/pleasure) than the people should move. Of course this
living standard has to be higher by some amount since people are also
resiting to change.

If we look at real live also the idea that food in the target city
increase the chances is invalid IIRC. People go from their rural areas
(where they have enough food) into cities (where their don't have
enough food). They go into the city because of opportunities the city
_MAY_ offer.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "That's fundamental game play!  My main enemy is *ALWAYS* fighting