[Freeciv-Dev] hobby as process? (was Re: Migration)

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] hobby as process? (was Re: Migration)
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:13:46 -0800

From: freeciv-dev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Um, I hate to be the one to point this out... BUT Freeciv is a hobby.

You don't have to hate to point it out.  I understand there's a
difference, that's why I've talked about hobby vs. career.  I will admit
one huge gap in my understanding though, and maybe you can help me on
this... why would someone program as a hobby, when the end result isn't
any better than what they could have gotten at the store for $20..$40?
Is this about process rather than results?  I'm very results-oriented, I
really can't fathom people who program solely or primarily for process.
The only reason I code is to make a better game.

> No one is making a career out of it because it is FREEciv.

Pedantically, there's nothing stopping me or anyone else from grabbing
the Freeciv code and using it as a basis for career-enhancing efforts.
Plenty of ways to enhance one's career without actually selling code.
Particularly applicable to students looking for their first game
industry jobs (not my problem / interest).

The code itself "doesn't care" what your hobbyist attitudes are towards
it.  It is merely GPL licensed code.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.