[Freeciv-Dev] Forking code. (Re: (PR#5122) Building requirement for tech

To: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Forking code. (Re: (PR#5122) Building requirement for techs)
From: Lobo Gris <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 04:09:43 -0300

In the concrete case of materials, the default game is a special case in the
sense that has only one material, named "Shield", but I have faced with a
feature in freeciv that makes me fork the code:
In freeciv, you can change the city production, and part of the shield stock of
the old production goes to the shield stock of the new one (in the case of
wonders, the total is transferred). Also, in freeciv you can build units by
buying them with gold. Both features can't be part of a game based in
materials, because other way you can cheat the game, producing units or
buildings that normally you can't produce because you has not available a
specific material to need them.

The key of a game based in different materials is that there are strategical
map positions due to the existence of a resource of a given material, so you
must trade with other players in order to get a material you does not produce,
or may be you are pushed to conquer that positions and defend them from the
others, or may be... This feature gives a lot of new interesting possibilities.

LG