[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Forking code. (Re: (PR#5122) Building requirement for

To: Lobo Gris <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Forking code. (Re: (PR#5122) Building requirement for techs)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:57:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Lobo Gris wrote:
> In the concrete case of materials, the default game is a special case in
> the sense that has only one material, named "Shield", but I have faced
> with a feature in freeciv that makes me fork the code: In freeciv, you
> can change the city production, and part of the shield stock of the old
> production goes to the shield stock of the new one (in the case of
> wonders, the total is transferred).

Actually, the total is transferred as long as you don't change production
category, of which there are three: units, buildings and wonders.

> Also, in freeciv you can build units by buying them with gold. Both
> features can't be part of a game based in materials, because other way
> you can cheat the game, producing units or buildings that normally you
> can't produce because you has not available a specific material to need
> them.

I don't see why. If you can't produce it, then it should not be an option
neither for next production item nor for buying.

This may be part of a wider issue, that of getting holds of units that you
should not be able to use, through various means, as this would violate a
modpack's rules. See eg PR#2405.

> The key of a game based in different materials is that there are
> strategical map positions due to the existence of a resource of a given
> material, so you must trade with other players in order to get a
> material you does not produce, or may be you are pushed to conquer that
> positions and defend them from the others, or may be... This feature
> gives a lot of new interesting possibilities.

Sounds like the Civ3 trade model. I do not see why this cannot be
implemented in Freeciv.

  - Per

"The truth is there is an ideological struggle between those who believe
that the best way to grow the economy is to give more money to the
wealthy, and the Democrats who believe that the wealthy will make more
money if average people do better." -- Bill Clinton, November 2000