[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5121) move server command structs/ids/help/etc to

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5121) move server command structs/ids/help/etc to common code
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:48:33 -0700

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > Now it send all info to players with ctrl and hack access level after
> > login (send all) and each change of option state.
>
> while this is noble, I don't like this idea. The reason is that it requires
> the client and server to be in sync with regard to all server commands and
> settings. This is obviously not required for almost all gameplay options.
> After all, why should a client care if the citymindist option exists on
> the server?
>
> A better option would be to send options and commands over the wire like we
> do rulesets. This would also be helpful for the GTK connect dialogs.

Good point. We discussed this in great length one or two years ago. The
solution we arrived at was a bit ambitious, but it was quite nice, IMHO. I
can't connect to the mail archive page now.

  - Per

"The truth is there is an ideological struggle between those who believe
that the best way to grow the economy is to give more money to the
wealthy, and the Democrats who believe that the wealthy will make more
money if average people do better." -- Bill Clinton, November 2000