[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5121) move server command structs/ids/help/etc to

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5121) move server command structs/ids/help/etc to common code
From: "Rafa³ Bursig" <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:36:09 -0700

On 2003.08.20 06:01, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> > I want make some basic server config GUI on client side.
> >
> > Here is secound version of this code...
> > Now it send all info to players with ctrl and hack access level
> > after login (send all) and each change of option state.
>
> while this is noble, I don't like this idea. The reason is that it
> requires the client and server to be in sync with regard to all
> server commands and settings. This is obviously not required for
> almost all gameplay options. After all, why should a client care if
> the citymindist option exists on the server?

When you want change "citymindist" option you must know it current
value on server. It is easy when you manualy use console commands but
GUI implementation with string comp. will look ugly. IMHO beter
solutions is when client know real states of setable server options.
With this patch server sent all options states (with SSET_TO_CLIENT
class) to client and those can be configurable via client GUI.

Sync info is send only to users with ctrl or hack access level.
When somebody change some option before your login (with ctrl or hack
level ) or change cmdlevel you must know current settings.
This code force sync only with "set" and "fix" command.

Problem of net trafic touch ony pre-game-state when game isn't run and
server sync all options with client (at login as ctrl/hack or when you
got those levels), after that server sync only changed option.

> A better option would be to send options and commands over the wire
> like we do rulesets. This would also be helpful for the GTK connect
> dialogs.
What do you want sent :
- command name
- command short help
- command extra help
- option name
- option short help
- option extra help
- option state
- option min state
- option max state
- option def state

How many of those vars will changed with different "rulesets" ?
"When"/"How often" you want sent this info ?
Even in this method you must sync settings with client?

Connectdlg or rather "Start New Game" Dlg require only option names
with default states and this is enought to start single player game.
(This will be my next target)

Current I think about configure pubserver GUI after connect and I made
this GUI in conn list dialog ( update_conn_list_dialog() ) with this
code it allow full cofigure all server settings. (it work and is ready
to commit)

Rafal