[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New tileset.

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New tileset.
From: "Arturo Espinosa-Aldama" <arturoea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:18:11 -0500

From: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Arturo Espinosa-Aldama <arturoea@xxxxxxxxxxx>

application). The whole tileset can be rendered at any given resolution at build-time, and the corresponding tar file is generated automatically by using this only command, thanks to sodipodi and TheGIMP's command-line options.

Cool.

Unfortunately, I can't find any current documentation on tile building, and although the spec file format is quite easy to figure out, I still have some doubts:

Feel free to write some :-).

I'll do that as soon as I get done with the tileset, as part of the documentation for the thing.

Does freeciv support non-indexed PNG files?

This depends on the client being used. The XAW client only supports indexed PNGs, but other clients should be fine with RGBA (or whatever). This has not been particularly tested, however.

OK, it's good to know I have a chance of getting this working without modifications on the client code. I'm using the GTK2 version (1.14, no cvs).

How does it handle transparency? Is the alpha channel honored? Does alpha blending take place (I doubt so, but I'm still asking)?

Same as above - it will probably work under some clients, but has not been particularly tested. I suspect the GTK and XAW clients will not work with a transparency layer, but the GTK2, SDL, and Win32 clients probably will.

I'll try with the SDL version as well; it looks promising.

What is the function of the tx.fog tile? That's the only one that doesn't seem obvious to me, and the one that makes me think that freeciv requires indexed png files.

This is used for non-iso tilesets only, I believe. It is used to draw fog onto the tiles. For an iso tileset fog is not likely to work well with alpha-layered sprites for any client except the SDL one (depending on what sprites you use alpha-blending with).

What is bizarre here is that both macroisotrident and r-hires specify a tx.fog tile, but looking at how macroisotrident is rendered, I guess tx.fog is just ignored and foggy tiles are rendered either at runtime or during initialization.

adopting it would require some major re-engeneering of the map view to get it working.

If there are problems, we should fix them as we find them. Hopefully we can do this without compromising things for non-alpha-blended tilesets.

jason

OK, so I'll try to make this thing work with the client as it is first. Thanks for the reply! :)

Greetings,
Arturo