[Freeciv-Dev] freeciv accessibility to the blind

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv accessibility to the blind
From: "Zachary" <Z_kline@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:39:51 -0700

Hello,
My name, as you can see from the sender, is Zachary Kline.
I have been aware of freeciv for about six or seven months and have come to notice something quite rare in computer games today.
Namely, that this game is accessible to blind and visually impaired players.  I am a windows user, so I cant comment on the x-windows release.
I was just wondering if their was any possibility of creating an even more accessible version, using speech through a sound card or better yet interfacing with screen readers directly.
If this were possible, I would be forever obliged to whoever could accomplish it, I feel that it has potential, and am quite willing to wait for anything that might come of this.
The time might have come for a parallel development path, or something similar.
If anyone has any thoughts on this issue, please mail them to the list as I am doing.
Thank you,
Zachary Kline