[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv accessibility to the blind

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv accessibility to the blind
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:04:49 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:34:19AM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:45:58AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > One idea I bear for some time is a speech output (take it as a fourth
> > messages option). That can free you from these popups, that I think are
> > sometimes quite annoying.
> >
> > This can also warn you, when enemy units approach.
> >
> > Since most freeciv messages consist of simple patterns, it should be
> > possible to record, store, and build them together, in ogg format for
> > example (Translators will need a mike :=).
>
> I think this is a really bad idea.  TTS (Text to speach) should be
> used.  The only reason someone would want to do this in a game is if you
> got some real voice talent and it added more than just information.

AFAIK TTS speech quality isn't overwhelming; quality and availablility
differs between languages; needs a lot of download, and cpu capacity.

If you concentrate on the main messages, you won't need that many text.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke          * * *          http://www.cknoke.de
* Please note new mail address - Neue Mailadresse beachten *