Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Recalculating movement after unit gets damaged

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Recalculating movement after unit gets damaged
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Sep 2002 18:36:19 +0200

> The defending unit is punished twice, by damage and loosing MP, while
> the attacker not only determines the place and time, but also can move
> *and* attack in the same turn.
>
> When a defending unit is damaged, it will be trapped in many cases, and
> ready to be slaughtered. Gameplay will change to more attack-based, dynamic
> strategies. I'm not sure we want this. I don't.

Most of defending unit are in cities, I think that counter-attacked
units are the more affected by this changes and moreover, distant from
home units, that seems not so wrong to me.

I think many attacking player will be better ambushed in this way, so
your point isn't so strong, IMHO.

Anyway, my preference is not strong. The other choice (both attacker and
defender not updated) is equally fair for me.

> > > What does (again) Civ 2 ?
> >
> > Civ 2 has a completely different approach on this, because every player
> > get the opportunity to move his units ONLY during his TURN (call it move
> > turn). Thus this is issue doesn't apply.
>
> I don't see why it doesn't apply?

Perhaps you don't understand...

In civ2, every player get HIS move turn, this means that :

1. You can attack *ONLY* during your move turn

2. You can be attacked *ONLY* during other players move turn

3. All of your units get MP recalculated at the beginning of your turn.

This means that if you attack and lose, defending unit don't get the
chance to move, until his owner get his 'move turn' and when it is the
time, the units has is MP recalculated!

        Ciao, Davide