Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Recalculating movement after unit gets damaged

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Recalculating movement after unit gets damaged
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:23:05 +0200

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:29:09PM +0200, Davide Pagnin wrote:

> > > The attacker's MP are adjusted.  The defender's aren't.
> >
> > The never are, no matter whether land or see unit. Changing this would
> > affect fighting a lot.
> >
> > Why do you think this is good (for playing)?
>
> IMHO, if attacker is updated thus also defender has to, it is fairer.

When I'm beaten, it's never fair :-[]

> From a personal preference point of view, not updating MP of both is
> beter, but can be exploited by expert players, so I vote for updating
> both attacker and defender.

The defending unit is punished twice, by damage and loosing MP, while
the attacker not only determines the place and time, but also can move
*and* attack in the same turn.

When a defending unit is damaged, it will be trapped in many cases, and
ready to be slaughtered. Gameplay will change to more attack-based, dynamic
strategies. I'm not sure we want this. I don't.

> > What does (again) Civ 2 ?
>
> Civ 2 has a completely different approach on this, because every player
> get the opportunity to move his units ONLY during his TURN (call it move
> turn). Thus this is issue doesn't apply.

I don't see why it doesn't apply?

> In CivNet, civ1 with multiplayer, move were contemporaneous, but the
> issue doesn't apply, because there where no HP.
> (Fight was ALL or NOTHING)

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/