[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:57:57 -0400

At 07:05 PM 01/08/27 +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 12:52:34PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
>> The client currently displays the Game year to the user, so I am not
>> sure I understand why an additional mechanism is needed to send this.
>>
>> Is there some point in processing where the year can change in ways that
>> the client won't pickup (immediately)? Is this what is being fixed?
>
>As pointed out before it is easier for client side ai planing to
>handle with turns instead of years. It may be possible to calculate
>the current turn from the current year but a far easier solution is to
>add a field to struct civ_game and two packets.

Unless the computation is incredibly arcane, or there are update issues
with the year, it seems far "easier" to do a quick conversion in the
client, rather than have this involve the network and server.

The algorithm to convert turns to years and vice versa just needs to be
written once and stored in common code.

But maybe I am missing something that makes the network solution "easier"
or more efficient? Or how this helps to control network traffic and load?

>       Raimar
>--
> email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers,