[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Introduction of turns
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:42:43 +0200

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 09:09:33PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> These agents do some clever things, but can't simply count the turns ??
>
> It seems to be bad design to have both turns and years.

I agree - except when the relation between turns and years is variable.
(It has been changed in Freeciv in the past, and looks like something
that could change with rulesets.)

> If you really
> need the absolute turn number (from the beginning), you should send the
> turn number and compute the year.

That's what I was about to answer, but now I'm not sure.
Turns should also be saved in savegames to do it right.

> BTW, you are going to break backward compatability with this, right?

(That depends on the implementation of course.)

--
Reinier